Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kaizen Wednesday: Expand Your Taste Experience




When I was a child, radishes were for salads.  A colorful adornment, a spicy little kick, a small player in the vegetable world.  I was fascinated with the different shapes the little bulbs would come in and especially loved seeing how the color of the skin "bleeds" when they are washed and sliced.  On a fresh vegetable tray, I would always choose one or two, cause they look so pretty next to carrots and celery!  But it wasn't until I had tried posole, a mexican soup, that includes sliced radishes on top that I absolutely fell in love!  When my friend made it for me for the first time, I thought it was the strangest thing to put those radishes on top of a hot soup!  But the cool crispness meeting the hot liquid...it's a symphony on your tongue!  Suddenly the little radish has a stand out solo! 

Part of mindful eating is opening up your palette to new flavors.  Often our personal tastes are deeply embedded in our past... the environment in which we first experienced foods.  Meeting old tastes again, trying completely foreign tastes, requires an openess and letting go of control, a spiritual state of being.  I'm so blessed to have had friends introduce me to so many different kinds of cuisine, new kinds of vegetables, new adventures!

A special thank you to my friend Sukie, at Trusting Delight for allowing me to use this lovely painting.  I just fell in love with it when I saw it for the first time last year! 

This is the final post in the Kaizen Wednesday Mindful Eating series. Next month we turn to cleaning and organization.  Yikes!  I like eating better!

And please check out the online course I am teaching this spring:



♥

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Haven't eaten a radish in I can't remember when! But then I haven't made a salad in the same length of time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are a blessing to me!

Share this Post!