Friday, December 3, 2010

Menorah Lighting: Day Three


Today's music is the traditional Israeli folk song, "Shalom Chaverim,"  often sung as a goodbye to others.  Although I was not raised Jewish, I grew up singing this song as part of my Christian heritage, often as an ending to my school day at the Lutheran parochial school I attended as a child.

Shalom, chaverim,
Shalom, chaverim,
Shalom, shalom;
L'hitra'ot,
L'hitra'ot,
Shalom, shalom.
Shalom, o my friends,
Shalom, o my friends,
Shalom, shalom;
Till we meet again,
Till we meet again,
Shalom, shalom.

The Hebrew word shalom is understood by many around the world to mean peace.  The root of the word shalom means to be complete, perfect and full.  This day, as you wish, shalom to those around you, may you bless them with the peace that comes by being in harmony and completeness.

On the third day of Hannukah, the following blessings are recited:


Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe,
Who sanctified us by His commandments,
and has commanded us to kindle the lights of Hanakkah.

Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe,
Who wrought miracles for our fathers in days of old, at this season.




4 comments:

  1. I have come here each night to watch the video also read your blog. Shalom Chaverim is a very special song to me as I also sang it as a kid in hebrew school. Thanks for another beautiful blog. -Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom Havera, shalom! I sang this song at Jewish summer camp growing up...What warm memories it brings.
    I love your artful video. Thank you. Have you converted or are you married to someone Jewish? I wonder what your affinity to Chanukah stems from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not converted.. I just have an interest in how people express their faith! ♥ I was inspired to do these for a Jewish friend of mine! But personally, I love anything with a "light" or "peace and justice" theme! ♪

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cori: absolutely beautiful! I'm so thankful for your gift of artistic expression and your heart for others! You're an amazing woman and you life touches others with beauty and grace!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are a blessing to me!

Share this Post!